Desk work has adversely affected our posture. We do not always utilize the ergonomic chair and while using the computer we often slouch forward. In case that, we don't notice our poor posture it will eventually lead us towards lower back pain.
Poor back posture and lower back pain are the major reasons that most of us are unable to give their 100% effort in all of our daily tasks. This causes reduced efficiency at the workplace. So many people are looking for ways that will help them improve their back posture and forward head posture and the foam roller is a great solution.
Foam rolling has been showing extraordinary results in relieving lower back pain and correcting back posture. All you have to do is to learn how to use the foam roller properly. So here we have a few tips that will help you learn how to improve posture.
How to improve and maintain posture with foam rolling
There are many causes in lower and upper back pain which can cause a lot of suffering. It could be because of poor back postures, sedentary lifestyle or improper weight lifting. However, with the proper foaming rolling exercises you can get rid of this pain. Here are the five muscles that must be involved in the foam rolling if you want to relieve lower back pain.
When we walk, run and perform other such activities the iliotibial band ensures to stabilize the knee. This is the reason that load is divided between the back and the knee. If our posture is incorrect it would cause issues.
- Place the right hip on the roller
- Keep your left foot on the ground and the arms for support
- Spend 90 seconds on each side
In case there are some painful points, you should not apply pressure on these spots until they are cured.
Hamstrings are a group of three muscles that are essential for the flexion of the knee and extension of the thigh. They reduce the curvature of the lower part of the spin that leads to poor back posture and pain. So it is important that you maintain your range of motion by:
- Place the right hamstrings on roller
- Bend the left knee to place the foot on the ground
- For assistance place your hands behind you on the floor
- Slowly move towards the pelvis
- 90 seconds will be enough in the beginning
The thoracic muscles are the postural muscles that help us to balance the forward head posture. Due to improper bending in front of the computer, excessive pressure is applied on the muscles that cause pain. So you have to:
- Adjust the roller under your upper back
- Interlock the finger and place them under the head for support
- Slow move the back and hold for 3 seconds
- Minimum 10 repetitions
Make sure to move it to a different spot in every repetition.
How to improve posture
One of the biggest reason due to which people are using the foam rollers is to improve their back posture. They are aware that with the proper posture they could perform well as well as prevent their body from many postural deformities. So in order to improve your posture, you have to follow the given steps.
You must begin by spreading a mat(no mat required) on the floor and keep the roller in a lengthwise direction on the mat. Now you have to sit on the end of the foam. Make sure that your knees are properly bent so that your feet will be flat on the ground. Slowly lie so that the foam supports your upper back and head. Make sure that the knees are bent. Relax your shoulders and keep the arms on your side.
Take a deep breath and expand the diaphragm. Begin with exhalation in such a way that your stomach is flattened and your back presses the roller. Repeat the process of breathing in and out. When you will inhale the muscles of your back will stretch. Repeat the exercise for 2 to 3 minutes daily.
Straighten your arms in such a way that the palms and fingers are reaching upwards towards the ceiling. Squeeze the roller with the shoulder blades and then relax your body. Once again, reach upwards, and repeat the movements. Make sure that you progress slowly for 5 to 10 minutes.
For the strengthening of the core muscles, you have to follow the given procedure:
- Raise the right hand over the head and place your left arm on the floor near your body
- Now slowly raise the left arm while lowering the right arm on the floor
- Repeat this procedure of raising and lowering the arm for 10 to 15 times
- Now bent your knees and keep your feet flat on the floor as well as place both of your arms on the side of your body
- Raise one leg and then slowly lower it
- Repeat the same procedure with the other leg
- Repeat the procedure 10 times
- Make sure that you conduct 2 to 3 sets of this exercise daily
Benefits of foam rollers
Some of the amazing benefits that your body will enjoy with the foam rollers are:
- It will cause a reduction in tightness that will help to relieve pain
- The roller exercises will help in the removal of painful mineral deposits
- It will cause the realignment of spine
- Foam rollers will help to improve the back posture
It is one the latest and best therapies for people suffering from lower back pain. The roller exercises are very easy and only require a few minutes of your time. If you are able to adjust your schedule to exercise daily in the morning, you will notice many beneficial results. It’s important to sit in an ergonomic chair at your office and conduct exercises to improve your posture.